Quick Snap of Rome 1960 Paralympics
- Host city: Rome, Italy
- Nations 23
- Athletes: 400
- Events: 57 in 8 sports
- Opening: 18 September, 1960
- Closing: 25 September, 1960
- Opened by: Camillo Giardina
- Stadium: Stadio Olimpico
The 1st Summer Paralympics was held in Rome, Italy. It was scheduled from 18th September to 25th September 1960. This season was organized by International Olympic Committee (IOC), later formed International Paralympic Committee (IPC) in 1989. This first season of the Summer Paralympics was opened by Camillo Giardina, a former Italian health minister by that time.
From 23 nations were participated with 400 disabled athletes in 57 events in 8 sports. The following sports were played in the Rome 1960 Summer Paralympics:
- Table tennis
- Wheelchair basketball
- Wheelchair fencing
Rome 1960 Summer Paralympics – Medal Table & Results
At the 1960 Paralympics wheelchair basketball competition, the United States won the champions; Great Britain titled runners-up and Israel took the third-place from men’s class A event.
On the other event in men’s class B, same as class A the United States won the gold medal, the Netherlands took the silver medal and Great Britain won the bronze medal.
If you notice the below medal table: Italy ranked in 1st position with 29 gold medals, 28 silver medals and 23 bronze medals. Great Britain took the 2nd position in the medal table with 20 gold medals, 15 silver medals and 20 bronze medals.
In the third position, West Germany won 15 gold medals, 6 silver medals and 9 bronze medals in that tournament.
Here are the full Rome 1960 Paralympics medal counts & results.
Rome 1960 Summer Paralympics Facts
1. Tommy Taylor, a British table tennis player, won the gold medal in the singles A event in the Rome 1960 Paralympic Games.
2. Anderson, a British female table tennis player won the gold medal in the women’s singles A event.
3. In a snooker sports competition at the Rome 1960 Paralympics, Cliff Keaton won the gold medal, Michael Shelton got a silver medal. Both Giovanni Ferraris & George Portelli were won the bronze medals at the 1960 Summer Paralympics.
4. At the 1960 wheelchair fencing competition, Italy was an unbeatable winner with 3 gold medals from 3 events.
5. Swimming competition: Italy got in 1st position with 15 gold medals, 9 silver medals and 8 bronze medals.